Welcome

Thanks for stopping by. I love comments if you feel like making one, or you could email me at kay.accessatgmaildotcom

June 19, 2010

A Tale of Two Twitties

 I had a couple of these little wooden birdies in my stash and decided to finally get around to altering them.  I started off earlier in the week giving them a coat of gesso, then I set to blending various shades of blue acrylic paints on them.  I was toying with the idea of giving them a night sky look with a dark blue blended background and lots of sparkly stars all over.  I got bored with that idea before I finished the blended background LOL.

So, there they sat on my craft desk all blue and boring and stuff, waiting for me to finish them off.  Today I decided to set to and started by stencilling a flower pattern over the first one with some blue and green Viva decor paints (excuse the crap photos, not sure what is wrong with me today!

Anyway, I stencilled the bird both sides then went around the edge with a gold Krylon pen ( covered the wooden bead with the Krylon pen as well) Then I smooshed some Rock Candy distress stickles over the whole thing.  I coloured a Maya Road chandelier bead with pink alcohol ink and attached that to the ring at the bottom with some gold thread.  I finished it off with a pink bow and gave it crystal stick on gem eyes.
I decided to go more grunge for the other one. I found some stiff sort of calico lineny guazey stuff in my stash (who knows where I get this stuff, I must go shopping when drunk or something!) and stuck that all over birdie.  Then I went mad with my cosmic shimmer mists.  I think I used all of them (except the one with the bunged up spray).  I used the same mists on some bits of lace and then stuck those on top of the wings.  I only attached them at the bottom part of the wing so they give some dimension.  I used more stick on crystal gems for eyes, Krylon pen on the wooden bead then tied some glittery hairy stuff on the ring at the bottom (no, I haven't been glimmer misting the cat..... although... that might be kinda interesting.... but I digress, it was some wool stuff - again, no idea where it came from). 
I decorated both sides of each of them, and they are slightly different on each side (mainly because I can never replicate anything exactly!) so here are their other profile shots:

This month over at alter it monthly the theme is Birds of a Feather, so these will be my entry.

8 comments:

Zoechaos said...

WOW fabulous birds love it when you just keep adding bits and it gets better and better. the one with the gunged up nozzle unscrew remove and run under tap. thank you for dropping by my little place and leading me here.

Helen said...

I especially like the flowery one though they're both good. I've got one of these (somewhere!) that I haven't even got as far as the gesso, lol.

Gillian .... said...

These little birdies are just great for altering, thank you for joining in again with this months challenge, great grunge effect on the 2nd one.

Zuzu's Blog said...

very cute little birds. A nice altered item. thanks for taking part again Kay x

.. you could make a load of those and hang them off of a nice interesting branch.. nice decoration...

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

2 fabulous birds Kay, really love the one with the fabric on and may pinch that idea thank you :-) Think it will work well with some metal.
Anne xxx

Carmen said...

These are WICKED Kay! Fabulous and both so different but utterly gorgeous.

Oopsie on my journal pages. I will remember to resist the urge to bin in future, thanks for the tips :P

Anonymous said...

These are both brilliant Kay, & so different! I'd love to come stash shopping with you when you're drunk! Lol!
And, happy birthday for last week, what lovely pressies you got!!
Alison xx

minnie_mac said...

Love what you've done with the birdies. Reminded me I have some ... somewhere ... can think where.

Marilyn