Welcome

Thanks for stopping by. I love comments if you feel like making one, or you could email me at kay.accessatgmaildotcom

May 15, 2011

Various bits and pieces

I realise my blogging has been sporadic at best lately.  I'm not in a very good place right now due to one thing or another (mainly one thing) but I won't bore you with that.  Suffice to say my mojo is largely missing right now.  I have not been idle though, gentle readers, perish the thought!  I have been doing some bits and bobs of yarnery and stitchery that consists of following designs by other people thereby utilising their mojo while mine is off wandering.
I learned to knit and crochet when I was a child and have done most kinds of both crafts.  One branch of knitting eluded me though... lace. I can crochet lace no problem but have never got around to even trying knitted lace (i.e. shetland/orenburg/estonian).  My first attempt to rectify this lack was made 4 years ago during my chemo/radiotherapy treatments.  Needless to say it did not go well! Trying to focus on new and complicated techiques while your brain is fried by chemical and radiation poisoning is not really a good idea.  So, on clearing out some dark corners of storage cupboards I came across the patterns and yarn and decided to try again.  Here is where I have got so far:
This is one a third pattern repeats of the edging, and there are 49 repeats in total for just the edging.  It's taken me over a week to get this far, so I figure at least a year just to comlete the edge.  I think I'm doing ok, although I think the vine pattern may have gone adrift a couple of times by the look of it! It is intended to be the Magikal Earth Shawl by Sandy Terp and this is how the finished article should look
 
I have a long way to go!  In the meantime I found the level of focus and concentration needed for lace knitting was so high that I needed something simple to fit in between, so I took up the crochet hook and did a simple shrug for DD which I completed just yesterday
Finally I did get around to some papercrafting.  I decided I needed somewhere to keep cards I had made.  I had intended to use an empty cereal packet  but DD had a tidy session and threw them all away! I therefore scoured the net and found a tutorial from Inking Idaho which almost fit the bill. I wanted something a bit bigger though so I started with some 12 x 12 cardstock then covered it with some old K & Co papers from my stash
So, lots of little bits and pieces keeping me out of mischief.  Hopefully my mojo will come home soon and I can get really inky and messy!
Hope everyone is keeping well x

5 comments:

Helen said...

Wow! So many things on the go and yu say your mojo is missing! I think the shrug is gorgeous and the best of luck with the lace - it looks very intricate. I would NOT have the patience.
Love your card holder, and what pretty paper you used. Hope things are ok soon!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Wow love your piece at the top, so so delicate, takes some patience but worth the results. The shrug is fabulous and I love your card holder, clever idea. Hope you are feeling ok very soon. Tracy x

Carmen said...

Both pieces are just gorgeous. As a shrug addict I can bet DD was over the moon to receive that.

I hope whatever is stressing you out stops it soon.

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Hi Kay, hope that one thing gets resolved happily or at least becomes bearable in time.
Love the shrug and the lace is amazing.
Anne xx

donnalouiserodgers said...

I hope you are moving in the right direction, I had a horrid thought, and then realised I should have missed you sooner - you missed the piffing, and such like over at Julia's place a couple of weeks ago - and I think it was then that I realised I hadn't seen your blog for ages,

you know where I am...

Dxxxx